Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Chapter 9: Teplice nad Metuji

Today we did a hike around the “Rock Labyrinth” in Teplice (doesn't rhyme with fleece - more Teh-pleet-sah) which is kind of in the Czech mountains. Was pretty impressive stuff. Personally, I found it nice to be out of the city for a bit too.

Train ride out was interesting. There was only one carriage going where we were going – and for a while there it didn't look like us and the locals would fit. On the subject of the locals, we've had some strange ones. Apparently even though our tour group makes treks here every other week – she won't accept Tadas' list and wanted to see our passports.

Update: This actually got worse the next morning. It involved Tadas being physically and verbally abused! I think its safe to say that Intrepid tours won't be back there,

Another example was when we went out for dinner. We walked into one (of the only two) restaurants in town, and we were told they were closed. Even though there was people in there eating – and this was at about 6pm. Tadas said he'd had trouble with them before, as the only wanted to serve locals, not “outsiders”. How bizarre.

Aviva was pretty cheesed off, and she was ready to go in and cause a scene. We talked her out of the international incident though, and went to other restaurant. Woman there was really nice to us, despite having next to no English, and she got a big tip because we all wanted to ditch our coins.

Had freshly smoked pork and some bratwurst, which tasted fabbo. Oh, and Steve G – I said I'd get back to the cheap beer thing. You'd love it. 1 Aussie dollar = about 15 Czech krowns, and the 0.5L beers are all around 20 krowns. Cheaper than water in some places!

The actual hike was really cool, its a pity the photos won't really capture it. I knew that when I was taking them. Sadly, it also can't give you the sounds or smells. Not even the cool breezes as you squeeze through the gorge.

There was one part where we had to climb 20 billion steps to reach a lookout, and following Tadas' lead, Vanessa and I hopped out beyond the railings. It was a hell of a long drop down, but the view made it all worth while I thought.

Tomorrow its off to see Auschwitz; then on to Krakow, Poland.




2 comments:

  1. There are many weird people and many weird experiences..that is the adventure of travel. be prepared for the horror that is Auschwitz. But be uplifted by the spirit of the Polish people. Krakow is a wonderful city...a bit touristy but luckily left intact after WW2. And ye,s too many rocks were photographed...but easy to get carried away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I didn't think it would effect me as much as it did. I knew it wasn't going to be a rollicking good time - just wasn't quite ready for it.

    ReplyDelete