I'll start by stating the obvious: Dubrovnik is beautiful. I was very impressed. The only drawback is that because its so nice, you have to fight through 20 billion tourists. Busloads off people were getting dropped off all day long.
We also had the last night of the tour tonight, so we had our final “official” group dinner and said our goodbyes. Most of us are staying on in Dubrovnik for a little while though, so we'll no doubt bump into each other. By the power of the interwebs, I'm sure we can catch up with one another.
I promised Ethan I'd report back about the Croatian women anyway. Dorotea assures me they are better than Serbs, but there may be some bias there! So far I wouldn't have a clue, its too difficult to distinguish between locals and tourists.
Looking forward to sleep in tomorrow, then checking into some luxury accommodation (well, compared to what we've had so far anyway). Its at the other end of Dubrovnik, so that will be an interesting change of scenery. Place I'm in now is not bad though. Its literally metres from the Pile Gate, right near the old town.
I also stood out the front of the “Fuego” Latin club – aka Club Britt Lapthorne. I didn't realise it was so close to where we were staying. I don't know how anybody could go missing there, or at least not be seen. Its right in amongst where the hordes of tourists are. The real question though is why anyone would want to go there in the first place.
Dubrovnik: Day two
Checked into hotel, which was right near the bus stop from town thankfully. One of the locals told me that the 10 min trip to/from town would take over an hour in the peak season... nobody moves anywhere!
Its nothing super flash – and the “ocean view” from the balcony is a bit of a stretch (you can see smidges of blue water) but I'm not complaining. Plenty of beaches nearby, which I took a look at today.
The third one I went to was Cave Beach, which is about 150m from the hotel. It was small, but OK. As I walked around the rocks I saw a woman sun baking topless, which was no big deal. I mean its Europe, after all. I walked on a little bit further and OH MY GOD MY EYES! THE HUMANITY!
There was a crowd of old people, all walking around fully nude. I then noticed the spray paint on the rocks which said “FKK” - which was also pretty close to what I was thinking at the time – and remembered that in Croatian it designates nudist beaches. I'm fairly sure it translates to “Beware: you will see things you can't un-see.”
Met up with Nes and Sew for din dins back in the old town. I had yet more seafood, but its certainly the place to do it. Its all been great. We were also talking about how weird it is that we won't be bumping into our group around town anymore. You still kind of expect to see them somewhere.
Side note: came back to the hotel to see Ricky Gervais on the Conan Obrien show. His new movie looks absolutely hilarious. “The Invention Of Lying”. Not sure if its out (hell, I don't even know who is in the grand final) but go watch it if it is.
Dubrovnik: Day three
Was meant to be going on an all day cruise today – but I literally missed the boat. I was standing at the pier that I thought it was leaving from, when I saw a ship pull out from the other side. It was, of course, the one I was meant to be on. So I watched them sail off into the distance, along with my money.
I got a taxi over to the new port, hoping I might catch them there. Sadly, no luck. I even looked at getting a ride over to the first island the boat was stopping at (Korčula) but as it was Sunday, there wasn't a lot happening. Certainly none in the time frame I needed. So I was a little bit disappointed... in the same way the pope is a “little bit” Catholic.
I did go back to the old port, and go on one of those 45 minute glass bottom boat rides. I really only went around the town, and was a pale comparison to what I should have been doing... but better than nothing. I guess it means I will have to come back one day, and maybe see the other islands too. Who's with me?
Off to see the sights and delights of Zagreb next, which is my final destination (hopefully not like the movies). Looking forward to catching up with Dorotea there, so much so that I don't even care that's its my shout for dinner. Gasp! Will not only be my last night in Croatia, but the last night of my holidays... so celebrations are in order!
No comments:
Post a Comment