Friday, September 11, 2009

Chapter 11: Krakow

I'm actually sitting on a train on the way to Budapest as I write this, as I've been a bit slack with keeping track of what I've been doing. Got some time to kill, so I'll bring you up to speed as fast as possible!

I enjoyed Krakow. It was a bit like Prague, just with less people. Well, less tourists anyway. Castles and churches are still the order of the day, which is fine. I quite like them.

We spent a few hours down in the Krakow salt mines, which I think was roughly 150m underground at its lowest point. Was really interesting to see the sculptures and artworks that they had made entirely out of salt... they even had salt chandeliers! None of the photos turned out particularly well though. I guess salt isn't so photogenic.

Stopped off for some lunch, then went with Ness and Sew to the castle grounds. With the blue sky in the background, 'twas rather awesome. Took a few more happy snaps down in the town square, which I think Tadas said was the biggest in Europe? Was something like 200m squared. They also had an “Alessi festival” that was underway, with celebrations due to kick off that evening. Lots of news crews and things were there, but thankfully didn't get in the way.

Did a quick pit stop in the Krakow “galleria”, which I'm sure the girls loved. Was a massive mall, but I was more interested in the free wifi. Actually, pretty much everywhere has free wifi... I haven't paid for any internet access yet.

I also was given a task by Cheska, which I graciously accepted. She wanted to know who was better looking – the Czech girls or the Polish ones. Sorry Shrek, Polish ones win! They were pretty stunning. However, Tadas says the Hungarian ones are his favourite, so we shall see.

That was about it for Krakow, now I have to remember what I did in the Tatra mountains...


1 comment: