I found it especially hard as I went through with Aviva (Jewish) and Cheska (Polish background), who were both very apprehensive about even walking in there. Our tour guide, Szymon, was also Polish and had family members there. Its bad enough to go through and see the photos and read the plaques, but it was his personal stories that really effected me. Every room in the museum felt like another punch in the stomach. Its just one after another, with nowhere to go to escape it.
As depressing as it was though, I am glad I went. I can see the importance of it being there. As for Krakow, I'll have more to report tomorrow. We spent the evening having dinner in the Jewish quarter, while listening to some of their traditional music.
“People always ask me - 'where was God during the war?'. No. Forget about that. The real question is; where were the Allies?”
- Szymon (tour guide)
Yes, no question that it gets to you. Can't believe some people deny that it happened. such a waste of life.
ReplyDeleteKrakow, however is a great city. Make sure you get to the top of the big church at the top of the hill. Even I climbed it and touched the bell...I think it is lucky.
Went to the church (I think) but it looked like it cost money, so I didn't go in!
ReplyDelete