Monday, August 31, 2009

Chapter 5 - Austria (home of the Aussies)

Met up with the group, which all seems very nice (at least to start with). There are 7 of us, and 5 of them are Aussies. The other 2 are Kiwis! I'm also the only guy (sadly, was not placed with the Swedish bikini team).

I've found a replacement for both Jess and Jane; Vanessa is a 24 year old with Malaysian background - and she has a brother named Andrew. We'll no doubt be making Asian jokes at some point. She also sounds EXACTLY like Catherine. Its a little freaky!

Our leader is named Tadas. I've already run through jokes in my mind about his name... how it sounds like he is finishing a magic trick, or perhaps just doesn't like spending money. He's Lithuanian background, but didn't exactly sell it to me as a tourist destination.

At Tadas' suggestion, group went to a place called “Centimeter” for dinner. Its called that because you can order sausages etc, and you pay per centimetre. They do a 1m spaghetti (thats the size of the bowl) and even sell a 2m long bratwurst sausage... what the hell?

Weather here has been mental. 30 odd degrees, then it rains (which I was pretty happy about) and now its cold. Damn you climate change!

I don't think I could ever be able to learn Arnie-speak. Not because its hard, but just because stuff seems so funny to say. Lot more geared for tourists than Macedonia though. Its all very easy to navigate your way around, even if English doesn't appear everywhere. If ein dumkoff like me can do it, anyone can.

More tomorrow after exploring tourist spots.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 5.2 – Vienna is made of win and awesome

Wow, don't really know where to begin here. Colour me impressed. If my camera could talk, it would be reporting me for abuse. If you any kind of interest in arty farty and/or architecural stuff, you need to get over here. Now.

I really like the old school gothic look of the place, and everything is just so damn big. The buildings, the food, the expenses... I hate having to pay 50 euro cents in toilet tax! I even tried to sneak into one place, but theres just no escaping it. Least they don't trap you in there I suppose.

Was good going through all the major stuff with Tadas though, as he had the stories behind it all. Like learning about Franz Josef (longest running man in charge) and his actress mistress... but more interestingly his wife Elizabeth. She lived like a rock star. She had no teeth cause she ate nothing but lollies, and kept her weight under control by her cocain addiction. Nice.

For Franz's efforts, all he got was a pissy little statue. Elizabeth however, is the peoples favourite.

Saw the church at Schwedenplatz, which was enormous and very impressive. Someone like Nay could spend hours there taking shots of all the little details (like little gargoyle looking things, or maybe angel statues way up high). It was interesting to compare it to the Baroque church down the road, which was a bit more... um... light hearted.

The girls went absolutley ape shit when we came across a certain set of shops. One after the other, they were all there. Chanel. Gucci. Tiffanys. Dolce and Gabana. Wankers R Us. The list just went on and on.

Also saw the site of Hitler's big speech. Was odd to think about what was going on there all those years ago. Other sites like Parliament, Opera house and the museums were all equally good. In fact pretty much wherever you go, and wherever you look – something is going to make love to your eyeballs.

Kicked back a little and relaxed at Karlsplatz, and also had a quick ride on the “giant ferris wheel” as is its translation. Nice to be up high, but its too far out of town.

Saw monuments to people like Strauss, Schubert and Schindler at one of the many parks here. Was noice, was unusual. Lots of other buildings and statues as well, but I'll just bore you with the photos. Its like 21st century slide night!

Spent tonight at the Rathaus, which has the ridiculously big screen out the front – normally used for open air films. Tonight, was being used for a Tchaikovsky opera. Just behind that, they had food stalls from about every country there is (including Australia). Waaay too many people for my liking though. I went to a pizza place down the street!

Back at the hotel now, and I can hear yet more music – its always being played somewhere here. It sounds like someone playing violin is having a jam session with someone on piano. You'd think it was a CD being played, if it wasn't for the occasional stuff up.

I'll be off to Maccas tomorrow to post this. Its about 50m away, and has free wifi. Hotel wants to charge 5 euros an hour. You do the math!

I went nuts with the photos, so its in three parts:




4 comments:

  1. Looks like you are having a great time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were tiling the big impressive church when we were there in 2005. Big job. Are you sick of schnitzels yet? Bet you are enjoying the beer...some of the best I've tasted.
    Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here I go with that annoying Twitter style:

    @Rhian - yes. Having a great time!
    @Gayle - only had the one schnitzel. Although I think I have had every form of meat known to man. I'm more sick of bloody cabbage than anything else.
    @Steve - you'd love it here. More on beer for you later.

    ReplyDelete